We offer English language family homestays with the chance to explore Scotland, for children aged 10 to 18.
We aim for total English immersion during your child’s family homestay.
We can also host a child who is studying – for a term or a year – at one of our excellent local private schools. Please enquire.
Our English language and activities programme
- Daily trips and activities in central and Highland Scotland
- Your child will be treated as part of our family, eating meals with us, cooking with us, playing family games, etc.
- English lessons with a qualified teacher are available – it is your choice.
We aim for:
- a significant improvement in your child’s confidence in understanding and speaking English.
- a really enjoyable holiday, which will give your child an insight into Scotland and the British way of life.
- your child may well gain independence and pick up some new skills along the way.
We recommend 2 hours of English lessons a day. But this is not right for every child and they do not need to have English lessons if they don’t want to.
If you want to book English lessons, then when you fill in our Enquiry Form, please specify the number of lessons and tell us about your child’s level of English, and any aspects of English that you would like them to focus on during their stay.
English Lessons will be adapted to suit your child’s level of English and any requests that you have made. Lessons will only be shared (maximum 2 children) where ability levels are similar.
Lessons focus on having fun with English, to develop confidence and the ability to communicate effectively. There is plenty of time for one to one help. Language learning is of course not restricted to lesson times, but continues throughout the day.
Lessons and homework that we choose from include:
- researching the answers to a general knowledge quiz
- writing a letter home in English
- taking part in a debate or role play
- preparing a presentation
- the film of the book – read the book, watch the film
- listening comprehension based on tv and radio programmes and audio-books
- performing a monologue or duologue
- reading a play together
- learning a famous poem
- writing an application for a summer job or university entrance, then taking part in an interview
- playing our large collection of language focused games.
- children are encouraged to read a book during their stay.
Trips and activities
When you book your child’s English family homestay, please let us know which trips and activities your child would prefer. We aim to provide at least one trip or activity every day.
A holiday will always include trips into the Scottish Highlands. This is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland. Hills, lochs (lakes), rivers, moorland. Enjoy the famous Birks Walk (great waterfalls). There’s the chance to swim in a river or lake, or for an extra charge to take part in a whitewater rafting trip.
If your child is spending 2 weeks with us there will also be the opportunity to spend a day visiting the beautiful city of Edinburgh. There are a lot of interesting sights and activities to choose from there. August is a great time in Edinburgh – with the famous Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Edinburgh is where the Harry Potter books were written – children love visiting the Harry Potter sights and buying Harry Potter souvenirs.
Trips and activities will be chosen based on children’s preferences, and can include:
- A Highland Games (dates dependent, but once seen never forgotten)
- Stirling Castle
- Linlithgow Palace
- Falkirk Kelpies
- Doune Castle
- Drummond Castle Gardens
- Comrie – pretty riverside village with spectacular hill walking and famous waterfalls
- Den building
- Red kite feeding (birds of prey)
- Aberfeldy (famous Birks waterfalls walk) and Loch Tay (beautiful lake)
- Loch Turrett (beautiful lake in the hills)
- Fire building, cooking supper over the fire on a riverbed
- Wild raspberry picking (July to August)
- River or lake bathing
- Crieff town quiz
- Swimming pool with flumes and currents
- Cinema trip
- Cooking a meal (or just a cake or icecream) for the family
- Indoor and outdoor games and challenges
- Demonstrate your national cuisine – if you’d like to bring a favourite recipe with you
- If you play an instrument and can bring it with you, we will organise an informal family concert