Our adult English homestays specialise in
Our adult English family homestay programmes run for 1 week at a time in beautiful central Scotland. You are very welcome to book 2 or more successive weeks.
We welcome adults for an English homestay on their own outside of the summer and Easter school holiday times, or 2 adults booking together at any time of the year, subject to availability.
We accept up to 2 adults, either booking independently or together. 2 adults booking together attract a reduction in the cost of the holiday. We have one double room and one twin room. We also have a study room.
If you would prefer your English homestay to be on a 1-to-1 basis, that is usually possible – please specify that on your enquiry form.
You are also welcome to book an English course for yourself, and to be accompanied by another adult, e.g. a husband/wife or friend, who does not want to take part in English lessons, but may wish to take part in the trips/activities programme around central Scotland.
Our English language and activities programmes
The 1-week all-inclusive programme includes:
- 15 hours of English lessons, plus optional homework
- One full day accompanied trip to Highland Perthshire
- at least 2 shorter accompanied trips or activities (see list of options below), with one free day for you to do as you please with
- You will be treated as part of our family, including all family meals, so you can continue to practise your English throughout the day
We run 4 different types of English homestay language programmes for adults:
It is also possible to mix and match – so for example you could ask for a course which includes 10 hours of General English and 5 hours of Business English.
We can also provide an English course which includes longer or shorter teaching hours. Or no formal teaching at all, in which case we will replace the teaching hours with additional trips around central Scotland, or free time as you prefer. Please just ask, and we can let you have a revised price if appropriate.
When you fill in our Enquiry Form, please tell us about your level of English, and any aspects of English that you would like to focus on during your stay.
When you arrive for your English homestay, we will give you a short test to check your level of English and any areas of weakness. Lessons will be adapted to suit your level of English and what you want to focus on. There is plenty of time to tackle any difficulties with grammar.
See the following pages for more information and to book your place:
Trips and activities
Once you have booked your English homestay, we will be in touch with a list of available trips and activities, and will ask you to list your preferences, which we will do our best to accommodate.
Every 1 week homestay includes a full day in Highland Perthshire. This is one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland. Hills, lochs (lakes), rivers, moorland. Our photos don’t do it justice – you will definitely want to take some of your own. You can enjoy the famous Birks’ Walk – great waterfalls and views. There’s the chance to go wild swimming in a loch or river, or for an extra charge you could join a whitewater rafting trip.
You will also have one day free to do as you like with. Options include visiting Edinburgh, Glasgow, or nearby Perth or Stirling. Or you may wish to play a round of golf on one of the many local golf courses, which include 2 of the top courses in the world, at Gleneagles. You could spend a day hill walking, or take part in one of the many outdoor pursuits available at the local hotel – Crieff Hydro. Including 4×4 driving, horse-riding, shooting, and watersports at the local loch. Or visit the luxurious spa. Crieff Hydro activities can be booked online or by phone. If you visit during the 3-week Edinburgh International Festival in August, you will probably want to spend a day at the Festival or its enormous Fringe. This is the largest arts festival in the world. It is also possible to buy a fishing permit / hire a boat to fish on a local river or loch – www.crieffanglingclub.org.uk.
As part of your 1-week English homestay programme, and in addition to the day trip to Highland Perthshire, we will include a minimum of 2 accompanied trips or activities, based around your preferences. These can include:
- A Highland Games (dates dependent, but once seen never forgotten)
- A whisky distillery visit, including whisky tasting
- Stirling Castle and Argyll’s Lodging
- Stirling Ghostwalk
- Climb the Wallace Monument – Stirling’s equivalent of the Eiffel Tower – and learn about the great William Wallace
- Linlithgow Palace
- Doune Castle
- Drummond Gardens
- The historic Library of Innerpeffray
- Comrie – pretty village with spectacular hill walking and famous waterfalls
- Comrie Croft – to hire mountain bikes and try out the purpose built runs
- Red kite feeding (birds of prey)
- Theatre trip
- Scottish Evening – cook and eat a traditional Scottish meal, and enjoy the songs and poems of the great Robert Burns
- Games evening
- There are often one-off events, e.g. local concerts, ceilidhs (Scottish country dancing evening), or talks.